Monday, March 9, 2009

Ecuador... Here I come!

I leave in 3 days!! I leave on Thursday morning! I am so excited. The family I am living with overseas called me on Friday. It was so fun being able to talk to someone from another country! I cannot wait to meet them. I cannot wait! I will be teaching ESL to the Kindergarten classes at the Alliance Academy.
I thought You might be interested in learning where I am going and about the school I will be teaching at. I posted some intersting information below which I got from the school website- http://www.alliance.k12.ec/index.html



History
Alliance Academy International traces its origin to humble beginnings. Several young missionary couples who were concerned about the education of their children looked to God for guidance and wisdom. As a result, the school opened on November 3, 1929, in one of the rooms of the Alliance Mission House on Cuenca Street in downtown Quito.

The school remained at this location until 1939 when funds became available to purchase property. At this time land on the north end of the city in an area known as Iñaquito was purchased. The property was divided between the Alliance Academy and Christian radio station HCJB.

Since 1945 the Academy has served children from families of many different missions, embassies, and private business enterprises.



Location
The Alliance Academy International is located in Quito, Ecuador. Ecuador is situated on the Pacific coast of South America. The Andes mountains run through it, giving the country a wide variety of climates. Quito has springtime weather year-round because it is located near the equator at about 9,500 feet.

As the oldest capital city in the western hemisphere, it is endowed with a rich cultural heritage. Shopping malls, cable TV and fast food restaurants counterpoint it as a modern locale.

Ecuador has it all, not just in climate, but also in beauty. The mountains are breathtaking while the Amazon jungle contains spectacular flora and fauna. The coast offers relaxing beaches with warm waters. The Galápagos Islands belong to Ecuador and some of the most unique species in the world can be found there.

Ecuador is a country blessed with an intriguing combination of natural wonders and cultural diversity. It is an ideal setting for the Alliance Academy International.

2 comments:

The "W" Family said...

How Cool! What a neat experience!

Anonymous said...

omg that sounds so exciting! I'm so happy for you! I demand that you give me your address as soon as you get settled in down there :P

Yeah mom thinks I should talk to Marilyn, how exactly would one go about that? I mean, I don't exactly have her number on speed dial lol!

Anyways if I don't talk to you before your leave, I loooooove you!! :)